Tips for Parents (English and Spanish):
- The ABCs of Mississippi’s Literacy-Based Promotion Act
- El ABC De La Literacy-Based Promotion Act De Mississippi
- Reading is the Key to Learning
- Strong Readers = Strong Leaders
- Buenos Lectores = Líderes Firmes
- Talking to Teachers About Reading
- Hablar Con Los Maestros Sobre La Lectura
- Home Reading Helper
- Reading Rockets
- Reading is Fundamental Book Lists
- Reading is Fundamental Activities
Ask your school or local librarian for recommended books. Your child’s interests will play a role in selecting books. Click here to find a library in your area.
Find books at your child’s reading level by using a Lexile measure. Parents use Lexile measures to help their children with homework and school reading, and to guide their children in picking leisure reading. A child’s Lexile range is like a reading safety zone. When parents know their child’s Lexile measure, they know how to challenge independent readers and help struggling readers — without themselves having to read every book in the library. Click here to use the Lexile measure to find great books for your child.