Why This is Important
Comprehension is the ability to understand and critically think about a text. It is the purpose of skilled reading.
Goals for Strong Readers
- Retell the most important points and key details of a text
- Make inferences and connections about the text
- Understand the author’s purpose and structure of a text
- Gain new content knowledge and apply learned concepts
Pick any fiction book or text and read it aloud to your child. Fiction is a made-up story. Have your child retell the story including main events in the correct order.
More Activities and Games
- Ask your child to read the book title and tell you what the title makes him or her think of – a movie, a television show, another story, or an event from your child’s life.
- Have your child read a story pausing every few pages to check his or her understanding of what is being read. Ask who, what, when, where, why, and how questions. If your child does not know, have him or her go back and reread.
- Ask your child to retell you what happened after reading the story and give details about the main characters, the setting, and the major events (beginning, middle, and end).
- Encourage your child to retell the story in the correct sequence of events.
Ask your child to choose a text, book or story to read. Ask your child to write a letter to the main character in the text that includes the following:
- Your child tells the main character about his or her favorite and least favorite parts of the book.
- Your child to discusses the problem in the story and give his or her advice about a solution.
- Your child asks the character some questions that he or she might have after reading the book or story.
Have your child select a non-fiction book or text to read. Non-fiction is real information with facts such as news articles, biographies, and how-to books. After your child reads the book, ask the following questions:
- What do you think is the most important thing the author wanted you to know about _________?
- What is one fact you learned from this book or text?
- Did you like this book? Why or why not?